Monday, August 17, 2009

Silence.


"A bit of advice: Say nothing often."
-Anonymous

"If there is a substitute for brains it has to be silence."
-Anonymous

"Often people who think before they speak don't speak."
-Anonymous

"You can always tell a wise man by the things he does not say."
-Anonymous

"Even fools are thought to be wise when they keep silent; when they keep their mouths shut, they seem intelligent."
-Proverbs 17:28 NLT

Remember the quote, "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Good quote. Sometimes it's better for a person to be quiet! There are a lot of verses in Proverbs about our talk and our tongues. Our talk is very important to God. What comes out of our mouths is evidence of what's hidden in our hearts.
Have you ever said something you wished you could take back? Doesn't work, does it? Remember the last time you opened your mouth, inserted your foot, and chewed vigorously? Then you wished you had kept quiet. Or what about a time you started speaking before you started thinking? You apologized afterwards but the words were still there.
My favorite verbal confrontation in the Bible is in the book of Job. It's a conversation between Job and God but Job is being wise: He is listening. He is silent. In chapter 38, God drops his first of a tactical volley of questions on Job, "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them" (Job 38:2-3). After two chapter of intense questioning, God lowers the boom again, asking Job, "Do you still want to argue with the Almighty? You are God's critic, but do you have the answers" (Job 40:1)?
Job's response to the Almighty, "I am nothing--how could I ever find the answers? I will put my hand over my mouth in silence. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say" (Job 40:4-5).
After two more grueling chapters of questioning, Job responds to Almighty God, "I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You may ask, 'Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I. And I was talking about things I did not understand, things far too wonderful for me.
"You said, 'Listen and I will speak! I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.'
"I had heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes. I take back everything I said, and sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance" (Job 42:2-6).
I get the feeling here that Job was wishing, somewhere in this conversation, he had never opened his mouth. Looking at Job's responses we can learn what to do if we've let our ignorance slip:
A hand over the mouth may cover an outpouring of unnecessary gossip, hurt, and unlimited ignorance! Job said, "I will put my hand over my mouth in silence." Not a bad idea. When we begin to talk, talk, talk, perhaps we should take one hand and place it firmly over the mouth. Duct tape works as well!
Job was talking about things he did not understand. According to his confession, " . . . I was talking about things I did not understand . . . ." We, like Job, can get ourselves into big trouble when we talk about things we do not understand. When we don't understand, don't argue, it's best to remain silent.
Job was also talking about things he knew nothing about. Not only did he not understand, he just had no clue at all. I'm not sure what all was discussed but Job failed the quiz with an F-.
When we don't know what we're talking about we certainly should remain silent.
Job saw God with his own eyes and realized what he had to say was not all that important. Often what we have to say is simply not important. Some people talk just to be heard. They really have nothing to say but they must talk. We must be reminded that sometimes the best thing we can contribute to a discussion is silence. Why take up time when there are important things to say. I believe one of the reasons silent people are seen as intelligent is because their silence allows them to be good listeners and good listeners are good learners.
Job had to be reminded, "Listen!" We need that reminder often. It's real hard to listen when we're talking. Somebody said, "We have one mouth and two ears, maybe we should talk only half as much as we listen!"
Finally, Job took back everything he had said and repented. When we say things we should not, we need to repent. Lots of what we say is sin. Sin requires repentance if we are to be in right standing with the Father. Job was so distraught that he even did the dust and ashes of repentance. He was so displeased with his actions and his sin that he wanted to be humbled in God's sight. His repentance was real. We need real repentance when we confess the sins of the tongue, not just mouth-service.
That's a challenge and it's all talk-related. I'm not sure of the entire discussion or the intentions of Job's heart as he spoke. I do know that God thought highly of Job (Job 1:8) and Job was very disappointed when he displeased the heart of the Father. Maybe he should have taken his own advice, that which he gave his friend Zophar, "Please be quiet! That's the smartest thing you could do" (Job 13:5).
If you don't say it, you won't have to unsay it!
Listen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, boy, now you're teaching hard stuff. If I could learn to do that ...

    ReplyDelete