Thursday, September 3, 2009

Correction.


"It is less painful to discipline a child than to weep over a spoiled teenager."
-Anonymous

"Discipline yourself so others won't have to."
-Anonymous

"My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights."
-Proverbs 3:11-12 NLT

Proverbs is loaded with advice for parents when it comes to disciplining children. I know there are many parents today who don't believe in spanking and use other methods to discipline. I also know that my parents never knew about those other methods so I always got the paddling. Dad often used the side of his shoe and applied it to the area God padded, probably for that very purpose!
Mom, of course, never used the, "Wait until your dad gets home!" routine to put off the discipline. Instead, she used a willow switch from time to time and, unfortunately, we had a willow tree located conveniently next to our kitchen window. She would even make us get the switch and if the thickness and swish were not to her expectations we'd go get another one until we got just what she needed. Oh yes, mom and dad used the paddles of correction whenever needed and without fail.
The Lord disciplines as well. When he does there are two things we should do about it, 1) don't ignore it and, 2) don't be discouraged. And why is that? Because he loves and delights in us.
The writer of Hebrews uses these two verses, "My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children" (Hebrews 12:5-6).
But there is more!
"As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Whoever heard of a child who was never disciplined? If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children after all. Since we respect our earthly fathers who disciplined us, should we not all the more cheerfully submit to the discipline of our heavenly Father and live forever?
"For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always right and good for us because it means we will share in his holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way" (Hebrews 12:7-11).
When I think about the times of discipline at home several things come to mind:
1. Mom and dad loved me. That's why they paddled me! Same thing with the Lord! "For the Lord disciplines those he loves . . ." (Hebrews 12:6a). I'm sure discipline is not the Father's favorite thing but he does it so ". . . there will be a quiet harvest of right living . . ." for the children who belong to him.
2. Mom and dad never spanked the neighbor kids! Sometimes I wish they would have spanked them but, unfortunately, my brothers and I were always the chosen ones. Same thing with the Father. "If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children after all." When a church member can continually live in sin without getting divine discipline, chances are that person is just a church member and not one of God's children.
3. Discipline was painful for both of us. I know that now that I've been on the giving end of spankings. It's not easy disciplining our children but it is necessary and it is worth it:
"A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away" (Proverbs 22:15).
"Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death" (Proverbs 23:13).
"Discipline your children while there is hope. If you don't, you will ruin their lives" (Proverbs 19:18).
4. Discipline was always painful. Yes indeed, it hurt. I think what hurt more than the spanking was the fact that I had hurt and disappointed mom and dad. On the other hand, parents also experience the pain of disciplining their children. But the pain is unavoidable: "No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it is painful!"
5. Mom and dad sure did make my life better because of their gifts of discipline! I know I deserved every spanking I got. I also know there were some times when I should have been spanked but grace was extended (thank you Lord). But there are things that were driven out of my life because mom and dad loved me enough to discipline the stew out of me! I am grateful!
God's discipline does the same thing but to a much greater extent. "But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way."
So when discipline comes, and it will come, don't ignore it and don't be discouraged. God does not discipline us out of anger but out of love. And it's good for us.
The results are life-changing!
Eternal too!

No comments:

Post a Comment