Friday, September 18, 2009

Mythbusters.

"Always tell the truth. Then you don't have to worry about what you said last."
-Robert Cook

"Some people live their whole lives just around the corner from the world of truth."
-Carl F. H. Henry

"Four high school boys, afflicted by spring fever, skipped morning classes. After lunch they reported to the teacher that their car had a flat tire.
"Much to their relief, she smiled and said, 'Well, you missed a test this morning, so take seats apart from one another and get out your notebooks.'
"When they had settled down, she said, 'First question: which tire was flat?'"
-Foster Quinn

"Any story sounds true until someone sets the record straight."
-Proverbs 18:17

In 1973 Adrian Rogers shared the following illustration at The National Conference on Revival at Castle Hills Baptist Church in San Antonio, Texas. Because of its nature, humor, and message related to this Proverb, I thought you would enjoy it.

"Did you hear about the man who came into the church office one day? Oh, he was so upset! He had just opened the broom closet and in that broom closet there were five brand new brooms. He hit the ceiling!
"He went into the secretary's office and said, 'Who authorized anybody to buy five brand new brooms at one time?' Well of course she didn't know so he went to the educational director and he couldn't satisfy this man and finally it ended up on the pastor's desk . . . and there was this man, just fuming!
"The pastor said, 'Well, brother, I don't know why we bought five brooms, maybe we use a lot of brooms, maybe there was a sale on brooms, I don't know, but listen man, it's not worth all that. Don't get so exercised over just five brooms!'
"(You know, every church has its self-styled watchdog.)
"So later on the pastor was talking to the treasurer about this thing and he said, 'You know, I don't understand how a man can get so upset over just five brooms.'
"The treasurer just laughed and said, 'Well pastor, I can understand that. How would you feel if you saw everything you'd given to the church in the past year . . . tied up in five new brooms?'"

Someone set that story straight!
Here's another:
"Some time later, two prostitutes came to the king (Solomon) to have an argument settled.
"'Please, my Lord,' one of them began, 'this woman and I live in the same house. I gave birth to a baby while she was with me in the house. Three days later, she also had a baby. We were alone; there was only two of us in the house. But her baby died during the night when she rolled over on it. Then she got up in the night and took my son from me while I was asleep. She laid her dead child in my arms and took mine to sleep beside her. And in the morning when I tried to nurse my son, he was dead! But when I looked more closely in the morning light, I saw that it wasn't my son at all.'
"Then the other woman interrupted, 'It certainly was your son, and the living child is mine.'
"'No,' the first woman said, 'the dead one is yours, and the living one is mine.' And so they argued back and forth before the king.
"Then the king said, 'Let's get the facts straight. Both of you claim the living child is yours, and each says that the dead child belongs to the other. All right, bring me a sword.' So a sword was brought to the king. Then he said, 'Cut the living child in two and give half to each of these women!'
"Then the woman who really was the mother of the living child, and who loved him very much, cried out, 'Oh no, my Lord! Give her the child--please do not kill him!'
"But the other woman said, 'All right, he will be neither yours nor mine; divide him between us.'
"Then the king said, 'Do not kill him, but give the baby to the woman who wants him to live, for she is the mother'" (1 Kings 3:16-27)!

Before you share a story . . .
set the record straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment