Saturday, September 5, 2009

Warnings!


"Choice, not chance, determines destiny."
-Anonymous

"We make our decisions, and then our decisions turn around and make us."
-F. W. Boreham

"Weeds grow lushly in the soil of indecision."
-Anonymous

"No power on earth or under earth can make a man do wrong without his consent."
-Anonymous

"He who provides for his life but takes no care for eternity is wise for a moment but a fool forever."
-Anonymous

" . . . and you will say, 'How I hated discipline! If only I had not demanded my own way. Oh, why didn't I listen to my teachers? Why didn't I pay attention to those who gave me instruction? I have come to the brink of utter ruin, and now I must face public disgrace.'"
-Proverbs 5:12-14 NLT

Proverbs 5 is a warning to young men regarding immoral women. The warning is followed by the regrets of those who failed to heed God's wisdom: "How I hated discipline! If only I had not demanded my own way. Oh, why didn't I listen to my teachers? Why didn't I pay attention to those who gave me instruction?"
There are caution lights that warn of us of the impending doom of utter ruin and public disgrace. These caution lights are effective, not only in the area of immorality but, in all areas of life. As I see it, there are four:
Caution light 1. "How I hated discipline!" The dictionary defines discipline as, "the practice of training people to obey rules, or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience." Sure, discipline is not fun but it is worthwhile and necessary for every person. Whether it is teaching a child to look both ways before crossing a street or having an I. R. S. audit, we need training, and sometimes punishment, for the choices we make. We need discipline! We cannot live without it! And . . . when we are honest about it, discipline can be our best friend.
Caution light 2. "If only I had not demanded my own way."
Proverbs 3:5-6 (you know this) says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." There are those, however, who have a scripture of their own making: "Trust in yourself with all your heart, depend on your own understanding. Seek your will in all you do, and you can direct your paths" (Personal Disgrace 3:5-6). Those who believe that version will still have to deal with verse seven of the real thing, "Don''t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn your back on evil."
When the choice is made to go my own way, the choice is made to miss the greatness of God and his choice for our lives. "'My thoughts are completely different from yours,' says the Lord. 'And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts'" (Isaiah 55:8-9). Only a fool would choose to do life his own way for it is the way to utter ruin and personal disgrace.
Caution light 3. "Oh, why didn't I listen to my teachers?" I suppose many of us can relate to that. How many times have we blown it because we did not listen to our teachers? When those who teach us the ways of the Father are ignored, those who choose not to listen embark on a downward slide to ruin and disgrace. It's another choice we must make. To say we don't have to make that choice is simply making a choice . . . unfortunately a bad one!
There have always been, and always will be, students who study only what's needed to pass the test. They may pass the test but will that information in any way affect their lives? We may have all the " right church answers" but are we growing in faith and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ and his Word? Listening will change us! We can hear with our ears but we must listen with our hearts. That results in change!
Caution light 4. "Why didn't I pay attention to those who gave me instruction?" Giving instruction goes a step or two beyond teaching. Teaching is like a class lecture but instruction is like the lab! Some things will only happen in the lab. We'll never see the results of some teaching until we see it in practice. The lab adds action to the teaching. Jesus did lots of teaching but he also did much O. J. T. (on the job training), or lab work. The disciples heard and saw the Word lived out. They found out what Jesus was teaching (sometimes--they weren't the best listeners either!) by watching it happen.
When we hear the teaching, and ignore it, and we see the action, and ignore it, we refuse the wisdom of God and, sooner or later, find ourselves on the brink of utter ruin and personal disgrace. Proverbs 5:21-23 gives us the grand finale of the chapter and the results of foolish choices as well, "For the Lord sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes. An evil man is held captive by his own sins; they are ropes that catch and hold him. He will die for lack of self-control; he will be lost because of his incredible folly."
My way?
I don't think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment